Supplier Search

Exercise tax refund

31 July 2015

If you’re a business owner who uses petrol-powered equipment in your operations, you may be entitled to an excise tax refund of up to 69¢ per litre. This includes using petrol powered equipment to:

• Move about the land you and your staff work on (i.e. ATV’s used by farmers);

• Work the land the equipment operates on (i.e. lawnmowers used by green keepers, hydraladas used by orchardists);

• Keep their businesses operating (i.e. builders using generators, chainsaws used in forestry).

Excise duty ($0.69/L as at 1/7/2015) is unique to petrol and is New Zealand Transport Authority’s (NZTA) way of getting the public to fund its roading projects. If you are in business and some of the petrol you use isn’t used on the road, then you will likely be eligible to lodge a claim and have the excise amount refunded. This way NZ’s backbone businesses aren’t unfairly subsidising other road users.

To get your refund of fuel excise duty, contact Kerry Aldrich from the NZTA on 06 953 7021 or 0800 108 809 (Ext 7021), she will advise you on your claim, register your request and ensure you have the correct forms to fill out.